Blooming Berry - Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop

It is that time you all have been patiently waiting for folks!  Time for the 2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop!
As part of our 2016 New Quilt Bloggers group we were given the opportunity to design a block using a wonderful palette of Cloud9 Organic Cirrus Solids deemed "Berry Harvest" by our amazing hosts; Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl, Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs, and Stephanie at Late Night Quilter.

This is my very first tutorial and I am so excited and pleased with how the block turned out.  I have visited a few of the tutorials from Monday and although my block is fairly simple when I compare them, I like the chunky blocks of color and know that there are certainly people out there that like larger solid sections.  Although I will not be the one quilting this block, I think it loans itself to some fantastic quilting ideas.
All of our blocks will be sent in to make charity samplers.  I can't wait to see those! Stay tuned until the end of the post to get the (Huge) list of other Cloud9 New Block Tutorials!


2016 New Quilt Bloggers



"Blooming Berry" Quilt Block Tutorial




This block uses 5 different solid fabrics.  The fabrics used in this tutorial are the Cloud9 Cirrus Solids listed below:

Fabric A - Amazon
Fabric B - Sky
Fabric C - Shadow
Fabric D - Lilac
Fabric E - Iris

Cutting Instructions:
Recommendation: Because you are dealing with such small pieces here, I suggest starching (I use Best Press) the yardage before cutting to help deal with any fraying.  Also, avoid handling the small pieces as much as possible.
Fabric A:
                 Cut (3) 20"x2.5" strips
                              subcut into (20)  2.5" squares
                                       and (4) 1.25" squares
Fabric B:
                 Cut (4) 2.5" squares
Fabric C:
                 Cut (1) 20" x 2.5" strip
                               subcut into (8) 2.5" squares
                 Cut (1) 15" x 1.25" strip
                               subcut into (12) 1.25" squares
Fabric D:
                 Cut (1) 20" x 2.5" strip
                               subcut into (4) 2.5" squares
                                       and (8) 1.25" squares
Fabric E:
                Cut (4) 1.25" squares

Piecing:
* On the wrong side of the fabric, draw a diagonal line on all 1.25" squares.  Again, be gentle with the edges of the small squares.


*Right sides together, sew along drawn diagonal line for the following:
          Make 4 - (1) 1.25" Fabric A square to corner of (1) 2.25" Fabric B



            Make 12 - (1) 1.25" Fabric C square to corner of (1) 2.5" Fabric A square


          Make 8 - (1) 1.25" Fabric D square to corner of (1) 2.5" Fabric C square
          Make 4 - (1) 1.25" Fabric E square to corner of (1) 2.5" Fabric D square

*Press squares flat to set seams.  Then trim 1/4" from seam on small side of each square.


*Press all seams open.  Final square should measure 2.5" x 2.5"
                     Totals: (4) Amazon (A) & Sky (B)
                                 (12) Shadow (C) & Amazon (A)
                                 (8) Lilac (D) & Shadow (C)
                                 (4) Iris (E) & Lilac (D)



Block Assembly - Rows
*Sew each row together as shown.  Press seams open as you go.
Recommendation: Pin. Especially where triangles need to match points.





Block Assembly - Block
*At this point, you will connect your rows.  I suggest doing Rows 1 to 2, 3 to 4, and 5 to 6.  Then connecting those sets.  This allows you to match up your triangle points with a little less bulk.

Sorry for the weird angle.  It does end up square, I swear.

* Press when complete.  Block should measure 12.5" x 12.5"


This hop was great fun.  Thanks to Cloud9 for supplying the fabulous fabrics to work with and thanks again to our wonderful hosts.

I would love to see your version of "Blooming Berry"!  Tag me on Instagram (@adreamandastitch) or you can send me an email (adreamandastitch (at) gmail (dot)com).
Make sure you check out the other blocks in the hop (There are 70! Wow!)  

Host: Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs

You can find even more at:

Monday's Hop Host: Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl

Wednesday's Hop Host: Stephanie @Late Night Quilter

Happy Quilting!


Comments

  1. Lovely block. Those colours are just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabrics were a dream! The color palette was so much fun to work with. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Amazing Jen! Easily my favorite of all day 2 publications =) Just charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, Jen! Love the name, Blooming Berry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. The color placement is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful block and a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your block is so pretty and your tutorial is very well written. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really lovely and I love the negative space that your block creates; it would definitely be fun to quilt up! The shape of the block makes me think of berry bush thorns that you have to dig through to get the sweet berry hiding in the center. Thanks so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your block is quite lovely. It reminds me of a flower with the dark centre and lighter petals. Great tutorial.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is quite a block! It's lovely, and I like the way you used the grey in the middle. It's very effective. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is so unique!!! I love it! I have had so much fun with this blog hop and designing a block, plus seeing everyone elses. I am eager to make a sampler quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same idea Amista! I think I am going to make a sampler of my favorites. And I can't wait to see how the charity quilts come together.

      Delete
  11. Great block! I love the radiating, flower-like shape in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a pretty block. I love that little bit of Iris right in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the little "berry" in the center too. It draws the eye right in. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  13. I really like this block and I think you are right about it being great for different quilting designs. This is a fun one and I'm sure it will look great in lots of colorways!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool block. Gives a look of curves with no actual curves. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have come up with a block repetition illustration. There would be an alternate curve visual with the Sky colored pieces as well.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful block and you're right - it would be fun to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jen, this is a great design! I would love to see how this looks with multiple blocks together. My husband said I could have EQ7 for my birthday! Yay! I'll have to stick your design in there and see a whole quilt with it! I think it would be really pretty. Way to go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the name,gorgeous block and I do agree in a a quilt I spy a secondary block,would be a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh this is a pretty one. Lots of little pieces but the result is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rosemary@nellieduclos@yahoo.comSeptember 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM

    I commend all the bloggers on coming up with such different, but wonderful combinations. The colors have been really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the blocks have been so lovely and unique, yet with the same color palette. I loved looking at all of them too.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy! It was a lot of fun to be part of the hop. A new experience for me.

      Delete
  21. I feel like I might be able to make your block with your great picture of the rows. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that when I read a tutorial, I like to see the half-way assembled photo or illustration so I know I am on the right track. :) Let me know if you decide to make one!

      Delete
  22. This is such a great block design and your instructions look easy to follow. Thanks for sharing, and I especially like the possible layout that you illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job with your block. It's a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a pretty block and the name is just perfect! Beautiful work, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the simple subunits that make up this block. Now I'm imagining a much larger medallion with lots of tones bursting out. Fantastic pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! I think this block would translate well to a much larger scale. Or just repeated in the same pattern outwards. :)

      Delete
  26. Wow I love this block Jen!! Thanks for a great block and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely name for a pretty block! My eye was totally drawn to the light blue in the corners - loved the effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I like the corners too. They would create a nice circle effect if the blocks were repeated in the same color.

      Delete
  28. I like blocks with big chunks of color too--and for the same reason: they invite interesting quilting designs. Kudos on a great block.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your block turned out wonderfully. Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen!
      There were so many great blocks in the hop. It was a fun learning experience for sure.

      Delete
  30. Your block is one of my favorites! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I love this block! Isn't it amazing how different everyone's blocks are. So much creativity out here. Your tutorial is clear and well-written too. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your block and tutorial. As soon as I clear some things off my list, I want to do it. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments from you. It makes my day. I try to respond to each and every comment via email. Unless of course you are a no-reply blogger because I don't have a way to respond to you, but I appreciate and read the comments just as much.
I hope you have a wonderful day.
Happy Quilting!